Contact Dominick Home Services for all your TV wire hiding needs!
An unsightly tangle of TV wires can detract from the aesthetics of your living space and disrupt the clean look of your mounted television. Fortunately, there is a solution—hiding those pesky TV wires in the wall. By concealing the cables within the wall, you can achieve a sleek and professional appearance while maintaining a clutter-free environment. In this blog article, we'll provide a step-by-step guide on hiding TV wires in the wall, allowing you to enjoy a clean and organized entertainment setup. Let's get started!
1. Prepare for the Installation:
- Turn off the TV and unplug all the cables from the wall outlet and the television.
- Gather the required tools: a stud finder, a measuring tape, a level, a drywall saw or utility knife, a fish tape or wire coat hanger, a cable management kit, an electrical outlet relocation kit (if needed), and a screwdriver or drill.
2. Determine Cable Route and Wall Access Points:
- Identify the optimal cable route from your TV to the desired wall access point. This typically involves determining the shortest and most direct path while avoiding obstacles such as studs, electrical wires, and plumbing.
- Use a stud finder to locate the studs in the wall. Mark the stud locations to ensure you avoid them during the installation process.
3. Cut Access Holes:
- Measure and mark the locations where you need to create access holes in the wall. These holes will be used to route the cables.
- Use a drywall saw or utility knife to carefully cut the access holes according to your markings. Be cautious not to damage any existing electrical wires or plumbing behind the wall.
4. Run the Cables:
- Attach a fish tape or wire coat hanger to the TV end of the cables.
- Carefully feed the cables through the access holes, guiding them through the wall cavity until they reach the desired wall access point.
- Once the cables have reached the access point, detach the fish tape or wire coat hanger, leaving the cables securely in place.
5. Install Cable Management Kit:
- Use a cable management kit to organize and conceal the cables along the wall.
- Follow the instructions provided with the kit to mount the cable channels or raceways on the wall. Ensure they align with the access points and cover the cables effectively.
6. Electrical Outlet Relocation (if necessary):
- If you need to relocate the electrical outlet to accommodate the TV, follow the instructions provided with the electrical outlet relocation kit.
- Turn off the power to the outlet at the circuit breaker before making any electrical connections.
- Carefully reroute the electrical wiring and install the new electrical outlet box. Be sure to follow all safety guidelines and local electrical codes.
7. Secure the TV and Reconnect Cables:
- Mount the TV on the wall according to the manufacturer's instructions, ensuring it is securely attached.
- Reconnect the cables to the back of the TV and the corresponding devices, such as HDMI, power, and audio.
8. Conceal Access Holes:
- Once the cables are in place and the TV is mounted, patch and repair the access holes in the wall using drywall patching compound.
- Sand the patched areas and repaint them to match the surrounding wall color.
Following this step-by-step guide, you can successfully hide TV wires in the wall and achieve a clean and organized look for your entertainment area. Remember to plan the cable route, cut access holes carefully, run the cables using fish tape or a wire coat hanger, install a cable management kit, and, if necessary, relocate the electrical outlet. With a little effort and attention to detail, you